Saturday, June 27, 2009

Zipp Wheels

You may have noticed that yesterday, I did not list an average speed. This is because my speed computer was not working. If you ride bikes a lot, you will recognize Zipp as the leader in after market and aerodynamic wheels.
Zipp sent a demo team along on the ride. Yesterday, I was able to demo a set of 303 clinchers. (38 mm deep carbon rims with sapim bladed spokes.) For those of you who have no idea what I am taking about, these are $2000 wheels. The only problem, was that the Zipp guys didn't swap the magnet that registers my speed. (I also forgot to get a photo with my bike all blinged up.)
So, how does a $2000 set of wheels compare to a $200 one? They rolled very nicely, but felt harsher over bumps than mine. I didn't notice much of a difference climbing although they are actualy a little heavier. Where I did notice a difference was trying to outrun the storm and riding in headwinds and crosswinds. They felt marginally faster, but without my computer it was hard to be sure.
Verdict: It was kind of cool to be able to try the Zipps, but I don't think it would really be worth the huge expense.

No comments: